September 10, 2007
You're going to need an emergency weather radio that uses a hand crank system so you won't have to worry when those AA batteries run out. This AM/FM radio never needs batteries! A few turns of the hand-crank generator are all you need to power it up and it includes a set of earphones as well.
At Battery Free Emergency Radio
August 14, 2007
Reecom R1650 Alert Weather Radio is a top-of-the-line NOAA emergency alert weather radio just packed with numerous outstanding features! This reliable, high-tech weather radio includes digital operation just about everywhere – digital volume, digital AM/FM radio tuning, digital display and digital time. The weather alert radio also includes SAME (Specific Area Message Encoding) technology, allowing you to focus your attention on monitoring local counties instead of distant events!
- Monitors all seven NOAA emergency alert weather channels.
- Warns of approaching severe weather with audio and visual alerts.
- A valuable tool for the hearing impaired when used with flashing or strobe lights.
- Auto-tune mode scans all available radio frequencies and presets the stations to the strongest AM/FM signal.
- Instruction manual included.
Features: Receives NOAA warnings of severe weather and environmental dangers.
- SAME technology filters out non-local emergency alerts, allowing you to monitor only local counties.
- Alert level indicates if the event is a warning, watch or statement.
- AM/FM radio automatically disengages when emergency weather broadcast is received.
- Selectable voice or siren warning modes.
- Digital volume control with 16 adjustable levels.
- Digital time and calendar.
- Telescoping antenna provides effective reception range of up to 50 miles depending on conditions.
- Backlight allows easy viewing in low-light conditions.
- Low battery detection and indicator.
- AC power adapter included.
- Battery backup provided by 4 AA batteries (not included).
- Batteries will operate weather radio for up to 30 hours if electrical power fails.
- External jack accepts flashing red light, strobe light or antenna accessories.
- Audio output jack works for headphones or external audio amplifier.
- One-year limited warranty from manufacturer.
At Emergency Alert Weather Radio with SAME and AM/FM Radio Model R1650
August 8, 2007
The RPS8807DT provides you with an instant seven-channel NOAA weatherband receiver with alert functionality that automatically turns it on during an emergency broadcast. What's more, this radio includes a digital-tuning AM/FM radio with station presets so you are also not without entertainment. This unit features a cool, blue backlit LCD display that is easy to read at a glance under any lighting conditions, and includes a digital clock with a dual alarm, a thermometer and a compass.
At WeatherX RPS8807DT 200-Watt Portable Power System with Weatherband and AM/FM Radio
July 27, 2007
Lingo is a company that mostly makes electronic hand translators for travel, but we like the compact nature and display on this weather alert readio. What's even more amazing about this little number is it can store NOAA emergency messages in the radio and play back later on if you are out of reception range or you just missed an important alert.
- Automatic Emergency Broadcasts, even when listening to radio stations.
- Automatic Activation for Emergency Broadcasts
- Broadcasts 24 Hour local weather forecasts and alerts.
- Weather and Alerts down to 1 county (Up to 9 Counties of Memory
- Auto Storage of NOAA Broadcast Messages
At Lingo Weather Alert Radio
July 26, 2007
The First Alert WX-167 Weather Radio is the next step in the evolution of the all-hazards radio warning system in the United States. In addition to providing traditional emergency weather alert warnings, the First Alert WX-167 now includes civil emergency messages such as terrorist attacks, problems at nuclear plants, industrial fires, chemical spills, biological hazards and AMBER alerts. We really aren't that excited to ever get a civil alert warning, but it's nice to have the feature.
- Specific Area Message Encoding notifies of alerts in your area only
- Receives all 7 NOAA weather/hazard channels
- Amber Alert and 911 call outage messages
- Automatically sounds a loud alert siren when emergency conditions occur in your area
- Upgradable using a PC
At First Alert WX-167 NOAA Emergency Alert Radio with S.A.M.E.: Electronics
July 25, 2007
The weather radio features an LCD display screen, backlighting for easy low-light or night viewing, and is equipped with a digital clock and daily alarm. This emergency alert weather radio monitors the seven NOAA emergency channels and also receives continuous National Weather Service weather and forecast information.
- Monitors all seven NOAA emergency alert weather channels.
- Monitors civil emergency alerts.
- Features SAME technology allowing you to localize weather alerts.
- Affordable and easily transportable yet can also be used in the home or office.
- Electro-luminescent blue backlighting makes for easy low-light and night viewing.
At Public Alert Emergency Portable Weather Radio with SAME Model WR103NX
July 23, 2007
This is the only solar powered radio we've found with Weatherband features. This combo set includes the EyeMax AM / FM Weatherband Crank/Solar Emergency Radio With Sherpa LED Flashlight. This self-powered radio offers AM, FM, and National Weather Service broadcasts. The radio covers seven National Oceanic & Atmospheric Association (NOAA) broadcast channels. The integrated solar panel will generate enough power to operate the radio and charge the battery simultaneously when exposed to strong sunlight. When you aren't using it, the radio will charge itself up if left in the sun. In addition to being able to power itself with the solar panel, just 30 seconds of winding the hand crank on the back of the radio will provide about 35 minutes of power.
At Freeplay Combo Set - EyeMax AM / FM Weatherband Crank/Solar Emergency Radio With Sherpa LED Flashlight
July 19, 2007
We just found this amazing Weather Radio Purchase Guide for Public Alert Weather Radios over at Ambient Weather. It gives you the low down on all the weather radio categories and products including: NOAA Radio, Public Alert Radio, Emergency Radio, All Hazard Radio, SAME (Specific Area Message Encoding) Radio, and others. They also give a big thumbs up to SAME technology as does the Weather Snob.
Check out this must read...
July 17, 2007
We like having a short-wave radio around for not only the news around the world but also a perspective on the weather. If you're looking for a great shortwave with clock and standard radio features along with the short-wave functions, the Etón S350DLS Deluxe AM/FM Shortwave Radio delivers. Other features include a large, full-range speaker for clear sound; a line-level output; separate bass, treble, and RF gain controls; and wide and narrow bandwidth filter controls. All this and more is contained in a case that's only 10.5 inches wide and weighs under 4 pounds.
- FM-Stereo; AM; Shortwave (3000-28000 KHz)
- Clock With Selectable 12/24 Hr. Format And Adjustable Sleep Timer
- Set Clock And Alarm While Radio Plays
- Main Tuning Knob And Independent Fine-Tuning Control
- Power Source: 4 D Or AA Cells (not included) Or AC Adapter (included)
At Eton S350DLS Deluxe AM/FM Shortwave Radio
July 12, 2007
Midland seems to have all the alert monitors we'd like to buy. Worried you're going out into a thunderstorm or bad weather? Find out before you go. The Midland WR-300 offers S.A.M.E. technology (Specific Area Message Encoding), which preprograms the device to receive only those warnings that apply to your local area--you can choose state, county, and/or nearby counties.
For tuning, the radio employs drift-free PLL (phase-lock loop) technology and an easy-to-read blue, backlit LCD. You get a convenient, 10-alert memory, and you can add, edit, and remove unwanted alerts at any time. The radio uses the supplied AC power adapter or four AA Batteries (not included). The single-speaker radio offers 30 programmable county codes, AM/FM tuning, date, time, alarm functions, and even auto switch from AM/FM to pertinent all-hazard alerts.
At Midland WR-300 AM/FM Weather/All Hazards/Civil Emergency Alert Monitor with S.A.M.E.